View Single Post
Old April 7 2013, 09:54 PM   #204
SonOfMogh
Commander

Re: When did voyager go wrong?

R. Star wrote: View Post
Yeah, I gotta agree Janeway stepping up as the inexperienced first officer would've been way more dramatic. Really in my opinion they did her and the story a disservice by having her be... by her own words... "larger than life." They made her have to be so absolute in her authority, and make sure the audience knows it, that they had to manufacture dilemma's and have her "make the call" to resolve them time after time. As if making her decisive and authoritative would somehow compensate for her being female. Unfortunately all this really did was make her look silly at best and downright insane sometimes. She would've seemed far more human and sympathetic if she showed signs of weakness and doubt more often. Instead of just seemingly making the call without even thinking things over half the time.
It's a funny one, until the other poster responded to me it hadn't really dawned on me to even consider her gender, but thinking about it they were probably wary of having 3 strong male captains followed by 1 weak female one. It's unfortunate they'd not had a female lead before so this wasn't a concern, because it's the only show you could do it on. If the captain of an AQ vessel wasn't quite up to the task they'd simply be replaced. There were all sorts of opportunities to have flawed people making mistakes on this show.
SonOfMogh is offline   Reply With Quote