View Single Post
Old April 7 2013, 07:13 PM   #133
sayonara maru
Lieutenant

Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

King Daniel wrote: View Post
DonIago wrote: View Post
1. I assumed the Borg's memories of their own origins were damaged. In any event, this might be an "inconsistency" but is hardly a "plot hole", and if that's enough to damage your opinion of the trilogy then I don't think the problem lies with the books.
Yep, Borg didn't remember their own origins, and what with those origins being a mad, dying Caeliar and panicked, starving humans, and millenia ago, is understandable. (This from the authors, after I posted about my plot hole about a year ago - why did the Borg try to undo First Contact, if it would undo their own inception?)

The Caeliar probably learned time travel after being hurled back through time. Harnessed, this ability allowed them to build their spheres in no time at all.
ok before i start, let me state: "Temporal Physics is a Mind Fuck"

First contact was (7 or 8?) odd years before the events of destiny. Temporally, the borg at that time had no clue what the effects of their traveling back through time would do.

Speed up to the events of Destiny.. The very first iteration were clearly psychotic (the mad, malnutrition of the Celiar and the human male and female).. Also their technology was in a very early stage. Therefore, retaining any longterm memory of their origins would be dubious at best (as pointed out by an earlier poster)

Third, the borg collective has been depicted as more akin to a series of terrorist cells. Each individual collective has only a subset of the knowledge of the whole. (ie the borg in the Alpha/Beta quadrant wouldnt have the complete knowledge base of those in the Delta quadrant. If i recall correctly, the Borg queen had no prior knowledge of locutus. Also, the assimilation technologies werent all uniform (TNG, First COntact, Voyager i believed all used differeing methods)..

So while the borg could indeed commune and transfer information with each individual cell (and eventually to the collective as a whole), each cell would naturally evolve in a different manner. (Re Will and Thomas Riker)

I think it is fair to say, that somewhere, there are probably Borg who do indeed have the knowledge of the origins story laid out in Destiny.. just not all of them..

The one commonality all the borg seem to possess is a knowledge of the omega particle. ( I am recalling both novel and some game references)..

One thing that does come to mind, if the borg in book 3 of destiny were more or less "lured" to the existance of an omega particle, did they really have a plan for how they'd use it? I think the desire was to be able to return the Celiar to their original state.. but that seems impossible since the borg "creation" was depicted as an irreversible change.
sayonara maru is offline   Reply With Quote