View Single Post
Old April 7 2013, 04:12 PM   #32
Christopher
Writer

Re: Paramount's Brad Grey Wants to Build a TV Studio

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Also, I'd shift the focus from the 23rd-24th centuries to the 25th and 26th centuries. Why? To give the Earth time to recover from World War III (if it's a nuclear conflict, it would take that long) or make said conflict a limited nuclear one that devastated Earth due to targeted pulse weapons that exploded in the upper atmosphere above a target, much like what happened in Red Dawn (2011 version), Dark Angel, and GoldenEye.
Well, I don't want to get into the specifics of story ideas here, since as a professional I need to avoid such things. But I'll just say that if you really are rebooting the franchise from the ground up, you don't have to accept that its history happened the same way. I mean, the whole idea is to break free of the dated assumptions that the franchise was originally based on. The idea of a nuclear war happening in our future seemed inevitable in the 1960s when TOS was made and the 1980s when TNG was made, but by today's standards it's kind of a dated assumption. An isolated nuclear attack by a rogue state like North Korea is still a possibility, but global-scale nuclear war between rival superpowers feels like the concern of an earlier generation, and a Trek reboot grounded in modern futurism would probably portray the global crisis of the 21st century more in terms of climate change, perhaps economic upheavals and corporate dystopias, maybe conflicts over human enhancement (so the Eugenics Wars would actually be a better fit than the "Post-Atomic Horror"), that sort of thing.

I liked the product placement, but wished that the car the young Jim Kirk drives off a cliff was a brand new 2009 model and not a 1965 model Corvette-there no way any of those could have survived WWIII. A 2009 Corvette would have, however, enough that the car's an antique in the 2230's.
I don't follow your logic. Why would a 2009 Corvette be better able to survive a war than a well-maintained 1965 one? And it's not as if the war would've uniformly damaged every single part of the Earth's surface. Naturally some places would've been devastated and others largely unharmed. Plenty of antique cars and far older antiquities survived WWI and WWII. There are still ancient cathedrals standing in cities that were otherwise largely bombed to rubble in WWII.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote