View Single Post
Old April 7 2013, 01:26 PM   #31
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Re: Paramount's Brad Grey Wants to Build a TV Studio

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sooner or later, if Trek is to avoid being just an exercise in nostalgia, it'll have to break from all its prior continuity and reinvent itself from the ground up. Keep the characters and their relationships, keep the values and ideals, keep the best ideas but remix them, but start the continuity fresh and weave in ideas that are as cutting-edge by today's standards as TOS was by 1960's standards.
I like what you said here, Chris. Also, I'd shift the focus from the 23rd-24th centuries to the 25th and 26th centuries. Why? To give the Earth time to recover from World War III (if it's a nuclear conflict, it would take that long) or make said conflict a limited nuclear one that devastated Earth due to targeted pulse weapons that exploded in the upper atmosphere above a target, much like what happened in Red Dawn (2011 version), Dark Angel, and GoldenEye. Or, the conflict could be a bacteriological one of a limited but nasty duration similar to what was experienced in the movie version of V For Vendetta. As well, I'd get rid of the Eugenics Wars and the idea that Earth developed interplanetary spacecraft like the DY-100, as you said.

As for aesthetics, Apple Store works for me. Maybe they're getting a product placement fee from Apple.
That doesn't make sense, because there's no actual Apple logo, just an aesthetic that broadly resembles that of their stores.
Actually, the screen that Chekov was using looked a lot like the kinds of screens used on USN ships to display things (at least one of them). It's possible that Apple did in fact make the tech, but it's not acknowledged, just accepted?

But they should cool it with actual Nokia-style branding product placement. That's a jarring tone break.
Unfortunately it's impossible to make a big-budget blockbuster movie these days without the funding that product placement brings. And as product placements go, Nokia wasn't a bad choice. They're a telecommunications company, something that will continue to be relevant in the future; and they're a corporation whose origins stretch back to 1865, nearly a century and a half, so it's not out of the question that they could still be around in 200-plus years. I suppose you could say the same about the Budweiser placement in Uhura's drink order; that brand has existed since 1876.
I liked the product placement, but wished that the car the young Jim Kirk drives off a cliff was a brand new 2009 model and not a 1965 model Corvette-there no way any of those could have survived WWIII. A 2009 Corvette would have, however, enough that the car's an antique in the 2230's.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote