View Single Post
Old April 7 2013, 05:57 AM   #62
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Ok, I know this is a minority opinion, but I'll say it anyway.

The more I watch Doctor Who, the more I don't like Murray Gold's score. Granted, there's some good stuff there, but WHY DOES THE MUSIC HAVE TO BE SO LOUD. Maybe I am old (I'm 28 by the way), but I'm watching this episode and the story is fast paced and actually quite enjoyable, but I'm not understanding WHAT ANYONE IS SAYING BECAUSE THE MUSIC IS SO BLATANTLY LOUD. What I got out of this episode is there is a false belief that people have to be sacrificed for the civilization to survive yet the show decides to say that is poppycock and it's just an alien sun monster thing who looks like Zordon from Power Rangers who needs the souls of this civilization to survive. Did I get that right? Oh, and the faith is based on beautiful music.

I actually did like this episode quite a bit, probably more than last week's but the music almost killed it for me. The bits I did like the most though was learning about Clara as a little girl, and the theme of memories being the sum of all of us. That final scene where she gives up the leaf was quite emotional, and for a companion joining the Doctor for the first time and doing that and figuring it all out, I think this is my favorite type of that episode, better than End of the World or Beast Below or whatever the one that featured Martha. I just wish the music was quieter, because there are some good scores, but I don't like how Gold just overshadows everything.

Yes it's been mentioned before that his music has overwhelmed some scenes

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=97917

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote