View Single Post
Old April 7 2013, 03:18 AM   #44
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Hmmm ... there was an effort at something big here. The whole theme of precious memories rang like a bell throughout the episode. I like it when a show tries to shoot for something like that.

The whole Akhenaten system seemed to prize the concept, from that star to the surrounding inhabitants. I bet there was a lot more going on in the original concept that didn't make it through to the final translation, and that's just too bad.

I loved the diverse mix of aliens, I liked the creepy seekers. I'm puzzled that the TARDIS wasn't doing much (if any) translating for Clara ... that's something to keep an eye on. Green Lantern might be right about her.

I even liked the idea of a parasitic planet that feeds on memories finally getting stuffed on an infinite variety of alternative outcomes that never happened.

I didn't like a face on the Parasite Planet or the barking bit with Doreen, and it's a shame the bigger concepts didn't gel better at the end. At least not for me.

I was generous and gave the episode an average in the hope that themes from it will reverberate throughout the season.