View Single Post
Old April 7 2013, 02:42 AM   #99
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Re: Does TOS Still Look Futuristic to You?

I'm a historian trained to search for lessons of the past applicable to the present. And when I look at the precepts of Modernism with its rejection of history as having little to inform the remade world of the 20th century, I am chagrined. And yet, when I look at the future I see the possibility that human existence will change in such fundamental ways that the lessons of the past really won't be applicable. I realize the stories of such people would probably be so foreign to contemporary audiences as to be indecipherable. And yet, THAT'S the future that seems plausible to me. In an attempt to find a middle ground, I imagine there are people like us still around in a post-Singularity world, but I cannot imagine how their lives will be changed. And while such people - mortal, not cybernetically enhanced, not hive minded, etc. - will live lives influenced by the constants of human nature, the world around them will be, I think, largely disconnected from the past.
But that's me and God knows I'll almost certainly be wrong. Prognosticators don't generally have great batting averages.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote