View Single Post
Old April 7 2013, 02:20 AM   #115
Rear Admiral
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

sayonara maru wrote: View Post
You are missing the point... I am arguing that Stellar Cartography should be as common place on a ship of exploration as are the holodecks and tractor beam.

My other point is that they BUILT the hydroponics bay ad hoc.. The writers however didnt see the need to make it as glamorous as the arboretum for some odd reason, which I feel is contrary to the fact that for all intents and purposes, this is their HOME.. and needs to be made more habitable for the long term.

You cant tell me with a straight face that a holo reproduction of a french whores bar adds more value than an arboretum

DonIago wrote: View Post
Comparing the Galaxy class to the Intrepid class in terms of things like the Arboretum or even Stellar Cartography is just silly; they had completely different mission profiles. At that point, why not ask why a runabout doesn't have either one of those?
Clearly Stellar Cartography on the scale that a Galaxy class vessel possesses it is not considered a priority for an Intrepid class ship, which has much less volume and is not designed for the same types of missions. Presumably if and when Starfleet feels that an Intrepid class ship should be sent on such a mission they outfit it accordingly.

I imagine an Arboretum is considered a "luxury" by Starfleet, and while it would be included on a Galaxy class ship which is essentially intended to be all things to all missions, it wouldn't be included on an Intrepid class vessel where it would be little more than a curiosity.

Given that holodecks have proven that they're not just tools for entertainment but can also prove useful to missions in ways that can't necessarily be anticipated, and they don't take up a whole lot of internal volume, I don't see why they wouldn't be included. Especially since they could likely fake both an arboretum and Stellar Cartography to a limited extent if needed.

If you're going to argue that "X ship should include Y", you should really include -why- you feel that way.

BTW, why are you blaming the writers for not making hydroponics a more exciting set? How was it in any way their decision?

I can and will tell you with a straight face (ironic considering I'm gay), that a holodeck adds more value than an arboretum.

I believe this has been brought up before, but I and I believe other posters would appreciate it if you included quoted text -before- your new material, to increase readability and as a courtesy. Thank you.
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote