View Single Post
Old April 7 2013, 12:33 AM   #50
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have

xortex wrote: View Post
The name Star Trek to them is meaningless. It has to be reinvented as something they are familiar with that was successful on tv and so it should have a different approach and a revamped premise that is more specific than boldly going nowhere. It has to have a hook like any great song. A sci-fi tv show has to be superimposed over Trek to make it work for them else it's more of the same craziness that failed before.
It doesn't have to be "re-invented," and it doesn't have to rely on heavy sci-fi overtones. TOS didn't rely on that, and neither did Abrams's movie. It relied on a likeable cast that the audience could relate to, and an interesting story.

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The last thing any Trekker would want is a new Trek series on CBS itself (or on any other broadcast network for that matter). Not only would it be gone in less than a season, it'd be the last Trek series for a very long time afterward, IMO.

But then, the odds of it being on CBS itself are likely somewhere between slim and zero anyway...
While I agree that a new show probably wouldn't be on CBS, I don't agree that if it were, it would die the quick death you think it would. Again, it's all in how it's presented to the audience.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
CBS's target audience watches procedurals, mass-market comedy and reality TV. They show little interest in sci fi of any sort, much less the off-putting type of sci fi that space opera represents. The last sci fi series of any type on CBS was Jericho. If that can't survive, then how can Star Trek?
I said that that's what a new Trek show needs. I didn't say that CBS was going to produce one irregardless of my opinion. However, comparing Jericho to a new Trek series is like comparing apples to oranges. Don't assume that Trek has no future just because a completely unrelated sci-fi show wasn't popular.