View Single Post
Old April 6 2013, 06:05 PM   #10
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Thank you to the writers!!

xortex wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I know I was very much inspired by the Trek writers who came before me. In fact, two of my old creative-writing teachers were Vonda McIntyre and Norman Spinrad . . . as well as David Hartwell, who was the original editor of Pocket's STAR TREK line.

David was actually the person who convinced me to move to NYC and take a chance on a publishing career. (I was working as a phlebotomist in Seattle at that time.)

Hartwell went on to edit the space opera compilation, right? so he obviously knew something about and loved space opera and still does. Is Spinrad still alive and writing. I'm a musician, dammit, not a phlebotamist. What the hell is a phlebotamist?

Hartwell is now an editor at Tor Books and has also edited numerous sf anthologies. Spinrad is still alive and writing and occasionally living in France. He recently posted a YouTube video in which he reminiscences about his experiences writing "The Doomsday Machine."

A phlebotomist is a professional vampire. I used to drain blood from winos at a skid row plasma collection center.