View Single Post
Old April 6 2013, 10:47 AM   #101
Shaka Zulu
Captain

Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I will say that one thing I didn't like about his reviews, particularly in his later years, was how he bluntly infused his personal politic into his reviews. Check the last sentence of this one, which comes out of the blue, zings the reader, and leaves unchecked, with no sense of balance.
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I will say that one thing I didn't like about his reviews, particularly in his later years, was how he bluntly infused his personal politic into his reviews. Check the last sentence of this one, which comes out of the blue.
You know what? When you write an opinion piece, about anything, you're allowed to express your tastes and opinions. Ebert was a master essayist.

You can not "like" it, but he wasn't doing anything wrong or by mistake. If you think his remark about health care in that particular review was "out of the blue," you flunked the exercise.

Also, that was something that needed to be said, especially for Americans like yourself (Flying Spaghetti Monster) who think that their health care system is the best on the planet; guess what, it isn't especially when medication like the one invented in the movie cost $300.00 USD just for a child to have while children in other countries, like Canada, are able to get it with no cost to them due to the national health care system that exists in those countries. No wonder he was pissy at the end of the review; I'd be like that, too, especially if you're suffering from cancer and have to pay a lot for treatment.

Something else about that movie bugs me (and also probably bugged Ebert too); the fact that the real life doctor that cured the disease was never portrayed in the movie, yet again because Hollywood can't seem to be able to cast an Asian actor in a role when said real life person is Asian, so TPTB decide to whitewash the person in question.

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Michael Medved - an avowed and fairly vocal right-winger with his own cinema, pop culture and political talk show - has said much more controversial and abrasive things than Roger Ebert did during his career, and hasn't been above injecting deliberate conservative political commentary into some of his discussions about the film industry and its product.
Medved also came out swinging at Captain America simply because of two graphic novels that were less than flattering to U.S. foreign policy with regards to Iraq and Afghanistan; check out his comments in this article (Captain America, Traitor?) and then get back to me about how opinionated Ebert was.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; April 6 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote