View Single Post
Old April 6 2013, 10:22 AM   #16
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Do you like to read?

Ah, reading (and writing) is my life. My house looks like a book warehouse-- the many bookcases are long since full and the overflow is piled up everywhere, some in boxes, some not. I read (and write) mostly fiction and appreciate most genres, although I'm not much for the mainstream. Science Fiction is my favorite, but I also read plenty of Mystery and Supernatural fiction. With the advent of POD and ebooks, I've also been able to amass a collection of classic Pulp fiction that I've wanted to read for decades-- guys like Clark Ashton Smith, Lord Dunsany, Hugh B Cave, Manly Wade Wellman, Seabury Quinn et al-- there are not enough hours in the day to absorb it all. I also have a substantial number of non-fiction books, mostly science and history, but also a few art and photography collections. And, of course, magazines-- from Analog and Asimov's to Discover and American History to Rolling Stone and Islands. I also get the publications of the various organizations I belong to, like The Planetary Society and the Southern Poverty Law Center. As my sister used to say when she was a kid, I'm "a mad bookhead."