View Single Post
Old April 5 2013, 08:55 PM   #28
Caje
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: "Plato's Stepchildren:" Kirk-Uhura Rape Scene?

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
I can agree on the surface issue of "rape" being a bit harsh in classifying "the kiss," however, maintain it is unsuitable to be viewed or lauded as being in any way "progressive" or "positive imagery."
I can definitely see your argument. The Original Series dealt with rape/sexual assault really poorly, in my opinion. The most obvious examples being Yeoman Rand in "The Enemy Within" and Uhura in "The Gamesters of Triskelion". It's also depicted in "Day of the Dove", "The Return of the Archons", and "Plato's Stepchildren". All of the scenes make me cringe when I'm re-watching the series, and it's unfortunate that they had to be included at all when none of them served any significant purpose plot-wise.

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
Again, I was motivated to pose this topic to the forum because the Kirk/Uruha kiss was ranked as number two (of 100) top moments in Trek history. Of coure, at the very least, it still shows 99 other instances of note.
While I wasn't around when the episode first aired, I agree with you that the kiss doesn't seem like something that should be lauded. Out of curiosity, what were the other top-5 moments?
Caje is offline   Reply With Quote