View Single Post
Old April 5 2013, 03:34 PM   #13
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Episode of the Week: 2x10 "The Dauphin"

Jeyl wrote: View Post
It's funny how an episode like "The Measure Of A Man" could leave such a long lasting effect on the character of Data throughout the series yet be immediately followed up with an episode that.... well, was designed to have absolutely zero lasting impact. It's one of those typical love story episodes that tries to imply it's going somewhere, but ends up having the two love birds departing on their own because of some greater purpose, tragic loss, temporal distortion, ect. We've gotten that a lot in Star Trek in general and we will continue to get it in the following series. Heck, Deep Space Nine has probably the worst case of this trope imaginable and that's my favorite series.
My home-name for this episode is Wesley Gets Giddy over the Space Princess. If you look at it that way, it's not as bad an offender of the trope as, say, Lessons, because the "princess" departing and never to be heard from again is completely in line with what's laid out from the get-go.

My favorite parts of the episode are their holodeck date and the finale/reveal in the transporter room. That last scene was of course very sci-fi, and, to me at least, it added an additional layer to why the lovebirds might really be incompatible, which I thought was a nice touch.

Nowhere nearly as good as the previous episode, but still OK.