Old April 5 2013, 10:02 AM   #75
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: New Possible Spoiler for Harrison and One Other Possible Big Spoil

trevanian wrote: View Post
Psion wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
The disgruntled will be a tiny percentage of the audience in any event.
Didn't folks say the same thing before Nemesis was released?
I sure thought so. It's a damn shame they didn't archive all those years of posts, because it sure would be fun to go back and see which folks made such a claim.

Probably the same folks who defended Enterprise to the bitter end.

Probably a lot of monosyllabic posts.

Probably.
[Laughs]

I think I was one of the defenders of Enterprise, too.

On a lark, I decided to check out the Way Back Machine and pour over its archives from TrekBBS in 2002-2003, hoping to find evidence of some of that pre-release negativity.

Instead, I started browsing through the Trek Art threads, including old posts for the revised Daedalus that I'd been working on at that time. To my surprise, Dennis and I weren't just civil with each other back then, we were practically friendly. In the bitterness of my older years, I've somehow re-written my memories to think we've always been snarky towards each other. Between then and now, we'd been on opposite sides of arguments enough that things just kind of soured. Which is a shame because I continue to think of him as tremendously talented.

(Hey Dennis, whatever happened to SubspaceBBS?)

That stroll down memory lane distracted me from digging up the scandalous evidence I originally sought -- it just doesn't frigging matter. Let's say I found what I was looking for and some of it let me somehow nail him or someone else to the wall with irrefutable proof of duplicity. What do I get out of it -- fulfilment of some pathetic fantasy of ruining his day? I can't help but think that would prove worse things about me than him.

It's much better for me to accept that even people I admire can piss me off sometimes. And just because they aren't friends, that doesn't diminish their accomplishments. (And no, I'm not trying to be preachy, just sharing a bit of internal reflection.)

Have fun, folks! And thanks for the years of bickering and laughter we've all shared.