View Single Post
Old April 5 2013, 04:30 AM   #2340
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: PICTURE POST II!

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Very pretty pics. I don't remember ever seeing a photograph of your mom. Is this the first one of her that you've posted?
I think I've posted this one before:

I like that picture, because she looks like me a bit. I don't really look like either of my parents, but in the rare photo you can tell. Me, looking like my mom:

My mom is an amazing woman. She's been through more than most people could even imagine (she won't write a memoir because she says no one would believe it, and that's probably true), and though things were hard for our family, she always did everything she could for us kids. I hate to play the stereotypes, but she is the Strong Indian Woman.

She beat abuse, racism, drug addiction, poverty, homelessness, and cancer. Three years ago she was in a wheelchair, barely able to walk. Now she doesn't even use a cane, just her leg brace:

This is her at my age. I took this picture:

And I can see my big brother's face in her's. He's gone now, but he was out and proud at 15, and was always loved and accepted because of my mom's strength. I took this picture too, the year before he died (I was 12):

And here she is with my little sister, still having a sense of humor despite the shit hand life dealt her, and leaving me to wonder again how someone so white could have come from some one so brown:

And that is my impromptu tribute to my amazing mother.

ETA: And one more, because fuck it, I'm sentimental on ambien, and she looks as beautiful at 53 with her grandson as she ever did!

View my art!

Last edited by thestrangequark; April 5 2013 at 04:47 AM.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote