View Single Post
Old April 5 2013, 01:13 AM   #24
Masao
Fleet Captain

Re: What kind of fan are you?

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Lord (no pun intended), that is a good list. I have been many of them over the last creeping up to 50 years. Nicely done.
Thanks. I guess I'm an INTELLECTUAL!

I wanted to make this list because I've recently been observing fandom more than participating in it publicly. All faiths and belief systems (which I believe that Star Trek is, sort of) have times of change, crisis, and upheaval, and Trek is undergoing one now. Such times can bring out the best in people, but it also can bring out the worst, which has caused me to isolate myself a bit. I think that we Trekkies (let us embrace this term!) share characteristics with followers of other belief systems and interests and, accordingly, interact with a similar dynamic. By understanding these characteristics and identifying them in ourselves and others, perhaps we can get along a bit better.

By the way, I was inspired to make this list by a cartoon of Trek fans I remember from Starlog, I think, from many years ago. Does anyone have a copy of it?

By the way 2: I am a traditionalist with evolutionist tendencies (or maybe the other way around), artist, intellectual, archivist, grazer, ecumenialist, sometime scripturist (but trying not to be a know-it-all), and Big-Tenter/Universalist. But, as T'Bonz says, I am, most of all, a Trekkie!