View Single Post
Old April 5 2013, 12:48 AM   #285
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Coming July 2013: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE RISE OF THE FEDERATION

flavaflav wrote: View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a quick question and don't want to start a new thread. In preparation for the new book, I've started a rewatch of 'Enterprise'. I was watching "Minefield" and became a little confused when the Romulan ships decloaked. In the Enterprise books, I thought the Romulans weren't able to cloak ships yet, just objects like mines. Yet in this ep, they can cloak their ships just fine. Am I remembering things incorrectly?
What really happened was:

-"Balance of Terror" establishes that cloaking devices were known only to the Federation as "theoretically possible" prior to being seen in the episode.

-Enterprise ignored the above, and made cloaking devices common a century before TOS. We saw the Xyrillians, Suliban and Romulans using them.

-The post-Enterprise novels tried to reconcile ENT and TOS, and IMO did so very very badly.

The concept of invisible ships was amazing and new according to TOS. Even with this novelverse "fix" cloaked Romulan ships should have been a suprise to nobody in 2266, let alone Spock.