View Single Post
Old April 3 2013, 05:10 PM   #5
dub
Fleet Captain

Re: VOY The Second Time Around

Brit wrote: View Post
Except for one problem, you got no show. Voyager had to be stranded that was the premise from the beginning.
My point is there was a way to destroy the array AND get home...which means the story was flawed (for me). Janeway gave up too easily. And so, yes, I think they could written a better story.

So given that, how would you strand them?
Well, I'm glad you asked! I would have spent most of the pilot episode (or possibly several episodes) at home with these characters. Get a real sense of their relationships with folks at home or in their current roles, their problems, their flaws. That way we care about them and we truly feel their pain when they do end up getting stranded away from home. I would have had a flashback scene with Paris and Chakotay, for example. I would have had Tuvok get caught by the Maquis and held hostage by them (more tension for later). I would have had Janeway in an actual scene with her mate. I would have had a scene with Harry Kim and his proud mother. Like I said, I would have had that first officer guy be the actual captain and have some great scenes with him too so there is an emotional impact when his is killed. Things like that. Then getting to the Delta quadrant would have been a quick matter of perhaps the tri-cobalt device firing inside the briar patch causing a temporary "man-made" wormhole, sending them on a one-way trip to the Delta Quadrant. The unique elements of the briar patch combined with the tri-cobalt device somehow caused the wormhole, and it sent them at random to the delta quadrant, then collapsed. So even if they could find a similar briar patch along the way, there is no guarantee of where it would send them if they were lucky enough to recreate one of these wormholes. That's just off the top of my head, but the point is, get them over there with no immediate solution available, that way Janeway doesn't look like a fool for destroying their only immediate chance of getting back. Oh, I'd also have a Cardassian ship become stranded with them, and the Cardassians end up on board Voyager as well. Tension, baby!

And again here is the assumption that the Maquis were forced to wear the uniform. We are told that there was an "agreement" to wear the uniform. Don't see how you get forced from that.
I never said they were forced, perhaps others have. I just thought it was silly that they wore the uniforms so quickly since they were enemies, whether they were talked into it or not. It's part of my problem with this series early on -- they were setting this up to be a really tense situation, then they (the writers) immediately begin to water down the tension by having the Maquis wear Starfleet uniforms at the end of the pilot episode. It was just too early for me, that's all. As Melakon rightly said, you have these moments with various episodes in various series. So I can move past it, but it's just one of those moments.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote