View Single Post
Old April 3 2013, 02:04 PM   #102
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: Defending Admiral Cain from Battlestar Galactica(mentions Dick Che

Guerrilla warfare is an omnibus term covering both strategies and tactics. The strategy may be attrition, or it may aim at slowly accreting forces to engage in decisive conventional war. The tactics include hiding amongst the civilian population; attacking from difficult terrain; refusal of combat on any terms but those favoring quick victory; a continous series of small attacks. There are whole manuals spelling out guerrilla warfare tactics, including the urban variants.

However, none of this applies to either Galactica nor Pegasus. The series' commitment to a fantasy version of current events is misleading. What Anders and Helo were doing on Caprica was the only guerrilla war showed in the series. Attacks on base ships are plain old war.

PS As to the supposition that the dictator Park was responsible for the south's economic development? It is a dubious idea. Park was not the first dictator in the south, but Syngman Rhee didn't spark an economic boom. As an alternative hypothesis, let me suggest that the US military spending on the Vietnam War, much of which was necessarily spent in East Asia generally, was more likely to have played a key role. Japan's similar economic speed up in economic development without the supposed benefits of dictatorship in roughly the same period strongly suggests this was more important. Korean chaebol were modeled on Japanese zaibatsu and Korean economic policy as I understood it were similarly modeled on Japanese economic policy. None were the creations of dictators.

May I further suggest that the desire to retroactively rehabilitate Park has more to do with justifying a war in Korea than historical truth? (If you say I cna't, just unread this question!)