View Single Post
Old April 3 2013, 03:42 AM   #51
Joby
Fleet Captain

Re: Does TOS Still Look Futuristic to You?

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
TOSalltheway wrote: View Post
I find, in many ways, that TOS has aged better than TNG. TNG seems to scream 1980s to me.
And TOS doesn't scream 1960s?
To me it screams 'Star Trek'. Despite the beehives and mini-skirts, it shares nothing with Twilight Zone, The Nanny and the Professor, The Big Valley (or other westerns), Rat Patrol, and doesn't particularly look like The Time Tunnel, Avengers, Lost in Space or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

It looks like Star Trek.
I don't want to turn this into a TNG vs. TOS debate, though it may head that direction, but I have to disagree that TOS has aged better then TNG. They have both aged IMHO.

Beehives and mini-skirts, sounds 60s to me. TNG sure does have a late 80s vibe going for it in those early seasons, especially with Geordi's VISOR, having a counselor on the ship and the general Hyatt Regency look of the Enterprise-D. Many of these asthetics even started to seem outdated by 1989, but TNG plowed forward with it through 1994. But TNG is just as Star Trek as TOS, it's not like I feel like I'm watching other 80s TV shows like Growing Pains, Perfect Strangers, L.A. Law or St. Elsewhere.

Though you could make a strong case for The Love Boat...
Joby is offline   Reply With Quote