View Single Post
Old April 2 2013, 10:17 PM   #1439
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
I agree with all of this. I was wondering recently how book virgins manage to avoid spoilers, and then it occurred to me that one day I might be in their shoes. The show isn't going to include the things that make me care about A Song of Ice and Fire-- partly because by its nature it can't, partly because Benioff and Weiss don't want to-- so getting any aspect of the ending from it would be disappointing. But I'll live; it's all just entertainment, obviously. And maybe getting spoiled on the broad details might make it easier to appreciate the nuances when (if) Martin gets there.
I agree it's not the end of the world. It's just slightly irritating from the perspective of someone who's truly come to appreciate ASoIaF as one of the best long term stories of our generation, and I don't want an adaptation spilling the beans anymore than I would've wanted a novelization of Sleeping in Light during Babylon 5 Season 4 or an audio play revealing Veidt kills NY with a giant squid and Dr. Manhattan kills Rorschach before Watchmen Issue 12 came out. Again, I get the practical reasons why this very well might happen; it just sits uncomfortably with me.

BTW if, and this is a big if, Martin passes away before completion of the series, that's another story entirely of course. Then, the series will be the only way I have to experience the ending of ASoIaF the way Martin wanted it to end (in broad strokes). Otherwise, not interested in post-book material seasons until I finish the proper story.