View Single Post
Old April 2 2013, 10:04 PM   #1438
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
*sigh*

I'm not looking forward to that day at all, honestly. I want to experience the ending of this story through the books and while I certainly wouldn't watch any past-the-material-in-the-books seasons, it's going to be hard going to the Internet without people spoiling things left, right and center and then wondering, "But WILL this be what actually happens to Tyrion?!" or whatever.

I understand the practical reasons for this, but so far, I've been able enjoy the show as an enjoyable, simplified version of ASoIaF with some nice actors and pretty visuals, but when it gets to the point where it actually affects ASoIaF proper and starts disseminating information and plotlines for things I don't want to know about yet... I'm just, well, not looking forward to that day at all.
I agree with all of this. I was wondering recently how book virgins manage to avoid spoilers, and then it occurred to me that one day I might be in their shoes. The show isn't going to include the things that make me care about A Song of Ice and Fire-- partly because by its nature it can't, partly because Benioff and Weiss don't want to-- so getting any aspect of the ending from it would be disappointing. But I'll live; it's all just entertainment, obviously. And maybe getting spoiled on the broad details might make it easier to appreciate the nuances when (if) Martin gets there.