View Single Post
Old April 2 2013, 09:50 PM   #237
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Roddenberry's Worst Ideas

CoveTom wrote: View Post
ROBE wrote: View Post
So in Roddenberry's universe you can go into a bar and order as many drinks as you like?
No, because we've seen our heroes pay for things at many a bar, including one on Space Station K-7 which was run by a human.

Look, people can try to rationalize this all they want. The simple fact is that despite what Picard may want Lily to believe, we have seen on-screen evidence time and time and time again that Federation citizens do use money of some sort. From Scotty buying a boat to Crusher buying a bolt of fabric to Sisko buying real estate. There are tons of examples. Way too many to hand wave away.
Also I believe in one of the last TNG episodes, Riker is talking to Quark and trying to get him to give up some information. Riker - I'm paraphrasing here - cashes in all the Federation credit vouchers he's accumulated at Quark's. So basically Riker gives Quark a specific sum of money (Federation credits) in exchange for information.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote