View Single Post
Old April 2 2013, 09:48 PM   #39
Danger Ace
Commander

Re: Does TOS Still Look Futuristic to You?

I love the picture of Mr. Scott in the modern Trek uniform.

As for the aesthetics of TOS. I don't think it is or should be too much of a distraction. Back then (as now) the best you can hope to do is give a sense of the shape of things to come and not a literal, exacting snapshot.

Of course there are many who appear all too eager to be disdainful of anything that is over a few years old or in anyway shows signs of age. Those that do cheat themselves. Their shallowness wouldn't allow for them to appreciate the more cerebral qualities of TOS (or anything else) anyway, therefore, good riddance to bad rubbish.

TOS was very bright and vibrant, and, as previously said, in part for reasons above and beyond the immediate need of production. Like many, I love the "window into the era from which it comes" aspect. It actually serves the dramatic purpose of providing a contextual framework by which to fully understand the spirit and voice of the series.

And in that light it signals and allows a contemporary audience to understand the sociology (fears and hopes) of the day, and as such illustrates the biases of the times. So those oversaturated colors actually do a lot more than meets the eye. In my opinion.

"Ay plegli ianectu flaggen, tupep like for stahn... " - Cloud William
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote