View Single Post
Old April 2 2013, 02:19 PM   #204
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: 7x06 The Bells of St John - review/ discussion

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
First off, the title, once more, has absolutely nothing to do with the actual episode, aside from a brief mention. Moffat's done this before ("Let's Kill Hitler", anyone?!), and it's kind of annoying. I like subtle titles that don't just give a description of the threat, but it should have something to do with the plot.
Let's Kill Hitler was annoying simply because the title was obviously chosen as a perfect attention grabbing WTF. Especially since it was revealed at the end of A Good Man Goes to War where we just had the three year mystery of River's identity answered and then we're told join the Doctor again in Let's Kill Hitler. Plus all the promotional material was playing up everything related to Hitler and Nazi Germany. In the end, Hitler has only one scene and the fact they were in Nazi Germany isn't relevant to the episode at all.

The Bells of St John on the other hand didn't have that kind of build up and it was obvious from all the plot descriptions that the episode had nothing to do with bells or a church or anything. The deal there was how to you give an episode with that plot that title and the way it was handled I thought was rather clever.