View Single Post
Old April 2 2013, 06:51 AM   #120
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Simply put, I'm not embarrassed. I don't see anything embarrassing about this thread. Just because a group of people don't like something I've done is no reason for embarrassment. I'll simply take the feedback and apply it to the future as I stated I would do in my previous post.
Oh really. Because the general thrust of the feedback is "don't be a petty minded egomaniac who films people from his car and posts it on Youtube".

But I'll go out on a limb and say you probably won't be applying anything from that.
The feedback I'm getting is to make sure there's actually something interesting going on in the videos and to not try to manufacture something that wouldn't have happened otherwise. It's been stated by several people that they don't mind that I record the videos (the core purpose of recording being for evidence in the event of an incident) as long as what I'm posting has some form of entertainment value.

I didn't setup a camera with the sole purpose of filming bad drivers. The evolution of the idea went something like this: I put my phone on a mount when I drive for the purpose of using it hands free (it's illegal in California to drive while talking on the phone with the phone in your hand) should I receive a call. I happen to put the mount somewhere where the camera has a line of sight out the windshield. I think to myself...hey, dual purpose. I put my phone there anyway, I have 32GB of memory and 1080p camera...why not record in case something happens? I start coming across shitty drivers and I post them to Facebook. It becomes something I do every now and then and people seem to like them. I figure I might as well upload them to their own specific channel on YouTube as I have seen many similar channels. I then share said channel with the Trek BBS and am told I should be ashamed and embarrassed.

If people think that I'm going to be shamed and embarrassed just because they don't approve of what I've done, they need to get over themselves.
No of course not. You should be shamed and embarrassed by the actual things you have done.
Shamed and embarrassed. For posting some harmless videos on YouTube? Something a lot of others also do on YouTube. Should all of those people be shamed and embarrassed, too? For doing something they feel is entertaining to people (many of those channels have many, many subscribers and views so *somebody* is entertained by these things)? Should the producers of a TV show that you don't happen to like be shamed and embarrassed simply because you don't like it? Who the hell are you to be so judgemental? Hell, I'm simply posting some videos from inside my car. You're practically telling me I should hate myself and be ashamed of my very existence because of it. Yet somehow I'm the judgemental one?