View Single Post
Old April 2 2013, 06:39 AM   #162
VDCNI
Captain

Re: Classic Who on BBC America

Christopher wrote: View Post
Redfern wrote: View Post
I watched the retrospective, of course, and just enough of the actual story to see if they pulled that "stretch to LetterBox" formatting again. The "pan" in space, drawing Earth into the shot was the give away, turning our home world into a bloody egg for several frustrating moments. After that, I switched off the TV. I had viewed my vintage "from the air" VCR recording of the serial only a couple of months ago, so I was satisfied.
I was tempted to turn it off, but it's been so long since I've seen it that I put up with it. But I hope BBCA is getting enough complaints about this obscenity that they stop doing it before the next one.

Well, now we know, at least in part, why Moffatt created the Weeping Angels. To hopefully present viewers the feelings of dread he experienced upon seeing shop dummies lumbering under their own power within the streets.
I've never heard them called "shop dummies" before, so it was weird to hear everyone saying it constantly in the retrospective. I guess that's a British usage. And a comparatively recent one, since in the actual serial they did call them "mannequins," which is what we call them in the US. I think they also called them "window dummies" once or twice in the serial, though.

It was weird that one of the interviewees in the retrospective was some guy I didn't recognize, Adam Garcia. I looked him up, and he played Harriet Jones's assistant in "The Christmas Invasion" -- and that's it. I don't get it. Is he famous from some other show?
Shop dummies isn't a recent name - it's just what people would be more likely to call them in everyday speech.

Adam Garcia isn't particularly famous even here so I'm a bit surprised he was on it.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote