View Single Post
Old April 1 2013, 02:06 PM   #14
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Re: Game of Thrones 3.1 - "Valar Dohaeris" - Rate and discuss

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Solid start to the season! I was impressed by how many scenes just leapt off the pages of the book. My favorite scene was Tywin and Tyrion. Yeah, Tywin's a royal bastard, but you can totally understand why he feels the way he does about Tyrion. The guy could out-hard-ass Stannis any day. The Unsullied scene was spot on as well. Was a little surprised to see Salladhor Saan again, considering he appeared in all of one scene last season. No "Arstan Whitebeard" here, but I can understand why the did it, since while you can easily keep Barristan's identity a secret on the page, you can't really do that on TV. No Strong Belwas, though. Can't wait for the return of Arya and the Wacky Adventures of Jaime and Brienne next week!
I, too, was initially very surprised about Barristan's early reveal, but as you say, he would be too easily recognizable on-screen to make prolonging the mystery of his identity for any length of time. And, yes, where is Strong Belwas?!? He's one of my favorite characters from SoS! Has there even been a casting announcement for that character?

Interesting how they've very quietly introduced Maester Qyburn. I don't recall him being discovered quite in that way in the books, then it's been a long time since I read them.

Nice to see Tywin moving closer to his true form, moving away from the more patronly figure that was protecting Arya. His scene with Tyrion was pretty much dead-on. Lots of good and relatively accurate adaptations of scenes this episode - the scene with the Unsullied and the fun with Astapori translations was pretty close, too.

I understand how some of the critical comments mentioned that the season didn't really quite start off with a bang that many have expected, but I thought it was an excellent establishment and build-up to many major events in the very near future.

Other great things:
- The smoking hole that is Winterfell in the intro credits - nice touch
- The addition of Astapor in the intro - also nice touch. I'm thinking we'll see all of the cities on Slaver's Bay being rendered eventually
- Mance Rayder and Tormund Giantsbane
- Giants!