View Single Post
Old April 1 2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Marsden
Commander

Re: Spock and T'Pring?

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
It always irked me that Spock let her off scot free. She was his legal property after the fight. Having heard her explanation and knowing she was treacherous and cold enough to get a man killed, Spock should have ordered her to go live in a Vulcan convent and scrub hospital toilets for the rest of her life.
Legal property? Like chatel? The Vulcans are the advanced civilization, right?

I think that legal property only pertained specifically to the ceremony itself and the marriage choices. The winner could legally marry her, whether she wanted, but that makes me wonder about Vulcan divorce lawyers? In a completely logical society, do they need to get divorced, why bother? They aren't ruled by their emotions so I don't think it would matter. I think that's the whole point of the Pon Farr, the Vulcans would die out as a species if they didn't feel the need to procreate at least some times, because when you're not ruled by lust and even love, why bother to get married and have kids. They are a real pain in the ass.