View Single Post
Old April 1 2013, 12:34 PM   #1
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Does TOS Still Look Futuristic to You?

I just saw some photoshops of TOS characters in DS9 uniforms, like this one.

I think if William Ware Theiss had offered this up at the start of TOS, it would have been rejected as a costume "designed for b&w TV-- get it out of here!"

As part of its mission, TOS was supposed to get more people to buy color TV sets. I think there was even a business deal between NBC and RCA, but I'm vague on that. Anyway, If you saw TOS uniforms on a neighbor's color set (and people did have the neighbors over to see a new set in those days), you knew you were missing something at home, and that was the point.

Did they go too far with the color saturation? I never thought so in the 1970s. The day we got our first roof antenna (a huge one, with a motorized rotor) and first color TV, and STAR TREK was suddenly clear and in color, was like Christmas to me. And TOS looked utterly futuristic, like nothing else could.

I can still see TOS through those eyes, or I can shift to modern-guy and then TOS looks dated. I know the movies did not dent the old look for me. Maybe TNG did. Definitely by VOYAGER I was adopting the new aesthetic and finding that if I squinted just right, TOS looked out of date. I wasn't too happy about it.

The classic Bridge set, especially as seen in S2 and S3, will never look bad to me, ever. I was shocked one day in the early 2000s when I had a very good CGI picture of the Bridge as wallpaper on a work PC, and a young woman asked what it was. She was gorgeous and her personality was all about fashion, hair, make-up, decor-- she was a person very dialed-in to what looks good and what doesn't. I joked (not that she'd know) that it was the design for our new Data Center. She said, "It's hideous."

Has your eye for the TOS look changed over time?
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote