View Single Post
Old April 1 2013, 04:58 AM   #16
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Re: Race + Comics: On Green Lanternís Near-Death Experience

shivkala wrote: View Post
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
However, the one thing many refuse to acknowledge is that younger generations of comic creators--many seeming "liberal" either in action or speech--do not appear to know how to write characters of color--African Americans in particular , unless it is the media stereotype many with a post-Hip Hop sensibility, delivering lines like someone from a 20 year old Spike Lee movie, or random BET sitcoms. Any other character with such a strong introduction as John Stewart should have that as a springboard to move the character through time, growing into a fleshed out entity, but that never happened with JS.
Agreed. I tried to make this point earlier in the thread, but I think you made it better.

theenglish wrote: View Post
This article seems off to me. DC has made a lot of attempts in the last ten years to diversify its cast. The new Atom, Blue Beetle, and Firestorm are all examples of this. The new 52 started with a number of titles with non-white male leads. Static Shock, Blue Beetle, Batwing, Batwoman, Mister Terrific, and VooDoo were all examples of this. How many of these are still around?
But, are they not around because they starred non-white and/or non-male leads or because of their quality? As I said, I tried Blue Beetle and dropped it because I personally thought it wasn't well written.

The few reviews of some of the other titles I'd read seemed to agree that Mister Terrific and VooDoo were not that great. I liked Batwoman, but it suffered when compared to Greg Rucka's run with the character in Detective Comics.

Of course, this raises the issue of whether or not DC purposely put their more popular, higher level talent on their more "mainstream" titles and their second or lower tier writers on titles like these.
The thing is, they need to learn how to write said minority characters better, and soon, because Garcia's right; the generation of readers being catered to with this movie is getting older and dwindling, and the situation mentioned in an article on the i09 website about manga and one particular manga book and the reason it was cancelled will soon start happening to Green Lantern as well. Maybe they can start by hiring creators and artists of color to create new characters of color, and to write the characters of color the company has now better.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; April 1 2013 at 05:09 AM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote