View Single Post
Old April 1 2013, 04:09 AM   #42
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: anyone else APPRECIATE chakotay's ethnic bits?

StarTrekSlut wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Yep. Narcotics in the 24th century are so advanced you just need a small machine to get yourself high.
ROFL... yeah I thought that remington microscreen horse schnit was ridiculous.. It would have been way more spiritual for chakotay to have like some special herbs or something.. Id have had more respect for him too..

One of my biggest dissapointments with chakotay is that they really could have made him into a "picard" esque type of character. The spiritualism, the renessance... Robert Beltran could have easily pulled off..

Instead, we get yet more half arsed "motel6 indian" bullschnit requiring the viewer to make a leap of faith rather then being drawn into and convinced of the realism.

-crim
You have more faith in Voyager than I thought. I would have never went so far as to say Beltran could pull off a Picard! And I consider myself a Chakotay fan compared to most others.

And yeah...Chakotay actually says in Season 1 that they invented that device just so they wouldn't have to take drugs lol.

CHAKOTAY: A blackbird's wing. A stone from the river. An akoonah.
JANEWAY: Akoonah?
CHAKOTAY: My ancestors used psychoactive herbs to assist their vision quests. Now they're no longer necessary. Our scientists have found more modern ways to facilitate the search for animal guides. Place your hand on it and concentrate on the stone. A-koo-chee-moy-a. We are far from the sacred places of our grandfathers. We are far from the bones of our people. But perhaps there is one powerful being who will embrace this woman and give her the answers she seeks. Allow your eyes to close. Breath to fuel the light in your belly, and let it expand until the light is everywhere. Prepare yourself to leave this room and this ship, and return to a place where you were the most content and peaceful you have ever been. You can see all around you and hear the sounds of this place.

Seems like a replacement for herbs to me. I think definitely hallucination rather than a real spirit.