View Single Post
Old March 31 2013, 07:07 PM   #103
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: 7x06 The Bells of St John - review/ discussion

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
So - the woman in the shop who gave Clara the Tardis phone number - presumably this was River Song right?

Moffat does not put stuff like that in for no reason, so we can safely assume it is River I guess!
Cutter John wrote: View Post
* I like the refernce to the "girl in the shop", though it was rather a throwaway line. Blink and you might miss it.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought Sally Sparrow when Clara said that line. Not sure why Sally would have the Doctor's number or why she'd be giving it out to Clara (assuming she knew who Clara is and isn't handing out his number to anyone who needs Help Desk).

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Is RTD's back? because this episode sure felt like one of his. It even had a cautionary warning about the dangers of our modern society. This time it was wifi and last time it was ATMOS(pollution)
As far as RTD, I got an RTD-vibe from the opening. The vibe got less as the episode went on. Though things like the Anti-Grav bike did seem more RTD than Moffett.

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
You gotta love a boss who lets their underlings take their vacation time before killing them, at least.
It seemed a very British thing to do. From what I've heard, they really value taking vacation time there, versus here in America. In America, I think we would have done it right before he went on vacation!

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
All this "clever boy" rubbish. Everyone talks the same in Moffat's universe. All quick and smug and not taking anything seriously. Pond and Song could have said the exactly the same and it wouldn't be out of place. The man's not got a sense of character voice, or else it's so dulled by his attempts to sound hip and neo-Buffy.
Doesn't bother me that much, but I get what you're saying. While I loved James Robinson's Starman series, I got very tired of everyone talking like Jack. Even the supervillains seemed to have Jack's love of collecting kitsch from the past.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
He keeps the motor bike in the TARDIS.
"Idiot's Lantern" had him and Rose pop out of the TARDIS on a scooter. With the similarities to "Idiot's Lantern" in-terms of an alien intelligence sucking people through a TV/computer it seemed intentional.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
How is a woman in her early 20s not computer savvy?

The only possible answer is a hashpipe.
There are some people who are woefully dumb about computers, but Clara was a special level of dumb. Especially the Doctor's comment about her going from not knowing anything to making a Twitter joke. I find it odd that she was too dumb, computer-wise, to make a Twitter joke before getting her upgrade.

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I liked how Clara figured out where they were, btw. That was a nice commentary on social media.
Did anyone else guess where they were by what you could see out of the office window? Or was that just me?!!
It reminded me of "Rose" where they showed the skyline and had the Doctor clueless as to where the bad guys could be. I've never been to London, but it was obvious to me it was one of the buildings they kept showing in the background of that cafe scene.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote