View Single Post
Old March 31 2013, 10:11 AM   #1939
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Does It Get Better???

exodus wrote: View Post
tighr wrote: View Post
More proof that Janeway just didn't really care about dead people. All the people dead and gone because of HER actions, and she suddenly cares about Seven and Chakotay? Naw, she's lying to us, right to our faces. The real reason for picking that time and place to go back in time is because they are right next to a transwarp hub, and that's just the macguffin she needs to magick everyone back to the Alpha Quadrant. It's just a bonus that Chakotay and Seven haven't taken a dirt nap by this point in time, and it's mere coincidence that Neelix is happy on his Talaxian harem colony.
I don't see it as any different than Picard.
He kept an emotional distance from his crew for 7 years.
TNG showed us thru Troi that the final test to be in a command position means accepting crewmen are going die sometime due to your orders. Besides, who joins the military, gets sent on assignment and doesn't think they don't have a possibility of dying?
First thing I'm gonna say is even though I think Janeway is imbalanced at times and definitely bipolar, even at her worst... which is executing Tuvix or torturing the Equinox people so she can hunt them down, she still cares for her people on a fundamental level.

Sure she screws up an awful lot, but there's plenty of blame to attach to her without making stuff up. As for accepting that people are going to die? Sure it is part of life in a military hierarchy. But there is a moral difference between seeing people die and ordering someone to die for the benefit of the unit. That's something I don't think I could do, so props to our military people who can.