View Single Post
Old March 31 2013, 07:15 AM   #22
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: Georgia toddler mauled to death by family's pack of dogs

Shanndee wrote: View Post
Squiggy wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
I have long advocated for the extinction of this Frankensteinian breed of dog.
Pit bulls are generally more docile than other breeds the same size. The reason that you hear about so many bad ones are (aside from media knowing people will read it) that pits are fight dogs, taught (not bred) to be aggressive and have such a strong jaw that IF they are agressive, they're going to fuck someone's world up.

Chow's are worse, but since they're so weak comparatively you don't hear about what they do.
Agreed.

Individual dogs owned by irresponsible people are dangerous. An entire breed is not. It is up to people to educate themselves on breed characteristics and to only choose a breed that matches their lifestyle and their ability to keep the animal obedience trained.

When I was working as a trainee vet assistant I received my worst injuries from small dogs. Tiny fear biters were far more worrisome to us than large, well trained, well socialized, dogs who knew they had nothing to fear.

There was a time when people wanted to eliminate German Shepherds (my favourite breed of dog...a breed I could never personally own because my lifestyle will not match his breed characteristics), Dobermans, and Rottweilers. People have learned that these are all fantastic breeds when owned by responsible people who train and socialize them properly.

I hope someday the Pit Bull will be on this list as well. They are generally kind, docile dogs when not owned by people who want a visible symbol of how "tough and dangerous" they are themselves.