View Single Post
Old March 31 2013, 03:00 AM   #73
Danger Ace
Commander

Re: Star Trek Enterprise: The most "likable" cast?

R. Star wrote: View Post
As I said, my list reflected likeability based on the character's personality in my humble opinion.
Just to be clear, I am merely discussing an item of interest that you brought to the floor. In no way am I attempting to invalidate your opinion or right to it, therefore, I hope I haven't given that impression.

Spock was probably one of the most competent Trek characters, and Nimoy one of the franchise's finest actors. But let's face it... just look at Spock in Trek IV. As amusing as his fish out of waterness was, he was terrible at interacting with people, though nerve pinching the gangbanger was completely logical!
This is where I get honestly confused. If you take the first 4 TOS motion-pictures (TMP, TWoK, TSS, and TVH) in terms of Spock's arc it is an unintended masterpiece of character developement. In "Star Trek IV," Mr. Spock finally attains the holy-grail of his existence ... balance between his two-halves and inner peace. He becomes a truly wise being.

Almost a prophet in that once he has reconciled his two halves he eventually sets out to reconcile his people and the Romulans.

The Leonard Nimoy/Mr. Spock dynamic is just pure magic to my mind. Magnetic and awe-inspiring.

Again, just my opinion with no offense intended.