View Single Post
Old March 30 2013, 04:03 PM   #24
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
They tried to inject some new energy into this franchise
Franchise? New energy? It's just part 2 of a film done 4 years ago. That quote above makes it sound like a lot more than it actually is.
We got two major motion pictures based on a toy line. I don't know how much more it could be. And they did try a different approach with the second movie, part of which involved bringing in some big name actors. It's clear that they were trying to revitalize the series.

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I'm one of the few people that actually really liked the first. Yeah, it was goofy and overblown, but that was the point. It knew what it was, and sent us on a fun and silly ride. This one just forgets about that, and tries to play it mostly straight. In the process, they forget to bring the fun. This is G.I. Joe, dammit. Plant your tongue firmly in your cheek and let the goofy stuff fly! You have ninjas, bad-ass soliders, tanks, hovercrafts, a bike that turns in rockets, a master of disguise, a guy with explosive bugs, giant space nail droppers that completely destroy London, and an insane megalomaniacal guy behind a shiny helmet. How does all of this off the wall crazy stuff, that should equal loads of nutty fun, lead to a movie that feels so subdued?
I liked what they did with Retaliation. It felt like G.I. Joe brought to life. I don't think I'd want to see a G.I. Joe movie that I'd describe as silly, goofy or nutty. That's how I'd describe Spaceballs.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote