View Single Post
Old March 30 2013, 03:30 AM   #92
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness Teaser!

Arianna wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
That's still a false comparison. It's already been pointed out several times (Some of those times where by women, I might add.) that sexy and sexism are not the same thing.

The point here is that Star Trek has always been sexy. It has not always been sexist.
Bingo. A woman can be naked and it wouldn't be sexist (same for a man). What makes it sexist or not is how 1) the character is written, 2) How the actress/actor portrays that character.
I don't think women need men to tell them what they should find sexy or sexist. Star Trek was much more PC with TNG.

With Abrahms (ugh) Uhura stripped down to her granny-like undies in the first trailer for ST09...no plot purpose what so ever. While I haven't seen the entire film STID ... yet, it looks like it will be the same sexism. Nice to know the feminist movement has influenced cinema in 5 decades. Maybe I wouldn't be so annoyed if I didn't find Alice Eve so irritating.
So you're saying that a female character can't be taken seriously unless she's fully clothed? Or is that that there is never a plot/story purpose for a female character to be partially or totally unclothed? And how does that point of view apply to male characters? Or is it only sexist when women are the ones stripping down?

Last edited by M'Sharak; March 30 2013 at 04:10 AM. Reason: quote tag repair
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote