View Single Post
Old March 29 2013, 10:31 PM   #102
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: When did voyager go wrong?

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I don't mean that "Year of Hell"-levels of damage should've been expected every episode, just that damage from the previous episode should have remained a background concern for the subsequent episode. Unfortunately, that would mean VOY couldn't be as episodic as the producers wanted, since damage on the ship model would mean the stock footage of a clean Voyager wouldn't be usable.
Like I said, no way to repair any damages done to the ship. If the audience was willing to accept that they could repair the ship, then they wouldn't have gotten made whenever they DID repair the ship's damage.

And no support from Starfleet doesn't mean no support from anyone. I liked the episodes when Voyager had to stop at alien space stations to negotiate for supplies; more such episodes would have been welcome.
The premise says "No Support", not "No Starfleet" support. To hold to that means never getting help from anyone. And it seems you're an exception to the standard, because otherwise most either dislike the episodes where they go to alien stations for help, or just don't care.

As for the Species 8472-Borg conflict, well, what was the point of the episode?
They were in Borg central, might as well tell a Borg story. And prove once and for all that the Borg were nowhere NEAR the number one Galactic Threat. They are, and always were, just one tough alien species. Not the toughest by far. Just one among many. And we finally saw another one.

Unfortunately, most of the audience was dumb enough to think that the Borg WERE the Number One Galactic Threat and didn't like their illusions being ruined.

Nevermind if TNG introduced the 8472 aliens no one would've minded.

Janeway sided with the devil she knew. Why? The Borg were getting their asses handed to them, so why not let the Borg get destroyed? Why side with them against Species 8472? I just didn't see the advantage in saving the Borg from an enemy that was well on its way to eradicating them.
As of that episode, the 8472 were out to annihilate all life in our Universe and had the power to do so. The Borg don't have the power to assimilate even one Galactic Quadrant (otherwise they'd have done so) and thus were the lesser threat. Once they were done with the Borg, the 8472 would go after everyone else.

Sure, they changed their minds later but not at the time of "Scorpion".

And this is another example of the double standard. DS9 did an episode where Sisko teamed up with the Jem'Hadar to stop the Dominion from being taken over by renegade Jem'Hadar, yet everyone liked that episode.

Last edited by Anwar; March 29 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote