View Single Post
Old March 29 2013, 05:13 AM   #50
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
EliyahuQeoni has a quote from Leonard Nimoy in his sig, which sums up the difference between your mindset and his:

Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'
That reads like typical Nimoy being the eternal cheerleader. .
The way I read it, is the idea that too many fans get so wrapped up in canon and what is "real" Star Trek and what isn't that they end up not enjoying certain forms of Trek just because they're not canonical or because they contradict something else. I mean, I enjoy nitpicking and retconning as much as the next geek, but above all Trek is supposed to be entertaining.

Yes, Checkov's age in Trek '09 doesn't mesh with his age in TOS. Can it be reconciled? Yes, because his birth is after Nero's incursion. But even if it couldn't, does that one line of dialogue ruin the entire film? No.

In TOS it is said that Vulcan has no moon. In TMP it has a moon. Yes, it can be "explained" but this discrepancy doesn't change the quality of the movie.

Just my thoughts,
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote