View Single Post
Old March 29 2013, 04:24 AM   #89
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Latest acquisition!

Garrovick wrote: View Post
When I was a kid in the '70s they used to show reruns of TOS every weeknight at 10:30, which drove me nuts during the school year because my parents made me go to bed at 10. I used to leave my bedroom door open so I could listen to the show on my parent's set (my mom was a fan too). The way our house was laid out, I could lay on the floor in my darkened bedroom and watch across the hall into my parents' room and see the TV from there. I did that a few times if I knew my dad was already asleep and wouldn't get out of bed and spot me. If I ever heard that magical phrase "all I could get was the name, Constellation, then I lost it", then getting out of bed became mandatory. I remember a few years later when I set a tape recorder up in front of the TV and recorded the audio of "The Doomsday Machine" onto a 60-minute cassette tape...
Wow, my situation was the same. Fortunately my school was a year around affair (9 weeks of school, 3 weeks of vaca, rinse/repeat) so I did not have to wait so long between times I could stay up for Star Trek. I also recorded the episodes on cassette and would listen to them later in my room. Sounds weird now I guess but it was all we had at the time. When my folks both died in 2000 and 2002 I ran across a few of those tapes (and a lot of other interesting stuff) when we emptied the house to sell it. Great memories.