Thread: Dafydd ab Hugh
View Single Post
Old March 29 2013, 02:02 AM   #10
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: Dafydd ab Hugh

I remember reading Fallen Heroes and thinking what a good book it was. Yes, it had a reset button, but the story was so good it didn't bother me.

However, I was completely confused when the Rebels trilogy came out. Not only was it absolutely dreadful, but I got the impression that whoever wrote it hadn't even seen a single episode of DS9. I couldn't believe it was written by the same guy. Now, some early DS9 novels get a pass from me no matter how bad they are (i.e. K.W. Jeter's Warped) because when someone's writing for a brand-new show, one doesn't know much and by necessity needs to create things that will probably get contradicted by the show later. That's just the nature of the beast.

But the Rebels trilogy was published during DS9's final season! There's no excuse for why the characters acted so different from the show, or why other aspects of the books didn't equate to the show (One example I remember is that it was stated that the Cardassians used some other race called the Drek'la to do all their dirty work. Huh?)