View Single Post
Old March 29 2013, 12:21 AM   #180
TheGoodNews
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Roddenberry's Worst Ideas

T'Girl wrote: View Post
TheGoodNews wrote: View Post
'Here in Fraga,' the local paper proclaimed in blazing pride, 'you can throw banknotes into the street and no one will take any notice.
It occurred to me that the people throwing banknotes into the street could be charged with littering. But with no money, how would the offenders be fined?
I suppose the locals and the CNT would both look at it as a spontaneous, festive outbreak of joy among the newly liberated gentry and would know better not to interfere. Clean up time could wait and with everyone now acting in solidarity it would but only take a few minutes.

"What does it mean, 'exact change?'" - Spock stepping off the bus in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Captain. I'm also curious as to how you propose to explain to Starfleet Command that a starship will be sent each year to collect our cut.

Mister Spock. I propose our cut be put into the planetary treasury and used to guide the Iotians into a more ethical system.

Kirk and Spock in A Piece Of The Action, discussing money as if somehow they both knew exactly what it was. TheGoodNews, how would you explain Spock's lack of knowledge as to the meaning of "exact change?"

An earlier line indicates that the Federation knew the Iotians to be imitators par excellence and would have copied the historic barbarism of stereotyped American gangsters in all its particulars to a tee. Kirk and Spock could have prepped with a briefing and could have learned the rest as they went along.

As for Spock wondering what "exact change" means, as Dr. McCoy said, "he's not exactly working on all thrusters." And Kirk by his comment "they're still using money, we need to get some" knew money was used historically but obviously didn't understand some of its particulars like when he asked the Antique dealer if $100 was alot or shrugged when Spock asked what exact change means. Kirk is supposed to be a 23rd century man who flies around the galaxy studying strange new worlds, he probably doesn't have as must time as he'd like to routinely study 20th century colloquialisms. And what era, region and dialect of the 20th century would he focus on, anyway? Their mission was literally done on the fly and with very little time.

Kirk: "I think he did a little too much LDS."

People make mistakes y'know.
TheGoodNews is offline   Reply With Quote