View Single Post
Old March 28 2013, 04:53 PM   #8
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile
Re: "Bread" (Feb/Mar 2013 Independence challenge)

Oh!

Thank you so much for your kind review!

Faith is canon, or at least it is in TOS times as Uhura rather clearly refers to a "son of God". But then it's kind of shunted to the side and is diminished but that's just not how humans are. And the grand post-WWIII unification of humans couldn't have, I feel, been accomplished 100% without faith. After all, those people had to have been pretty desperate. And faith can often comfort the desperate.

Plus, we see other species (except, I suppose, for the Xindi and the Valakians/Menk), where the behaviors are a monolith. Everyone seems to be the same and the peoples are almost interchangeable parts. And that's just not realistic. For us humans, we have myriad differences, and faith is but one of them (nation origin, race, sexual preference are a few others of course).

I wanted the MU Leah and Josh to be almost like Spanish conversos. They would have to maintain secrecy in order to maintain any sort of an individual identity, whereas the Prime Universe is celebrating the differences. Light vs. dark, freedom and independence vs. slavery and submission; I do hope those came across.
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote