View Single Post
Old March 28 2013, 03:59 PM   #14
diankra
Commodore

Re: "I'm a soldier not a diplomat."

I'd compare it to the way the NASA astronauts behaved across Apollo: they were dedicated to achieving the mission, and the more successful ones were the ones who realised the mission had changed once the initial goal had been achieved.
The 'old heads' tended to see the mission as being test pilotry: flying a new flying machine in a new environment, with science an unnecessary distraction which could get in the way of achieving that. In the very early days, when everything was an unknown and a potential danger, that could be the right approach (like for Wally Schirra in MA8), but later on 'getting there' was no longer the point (as, to an extent, Al Shepherd failed to realise on Apollo 14), it was what you did there that mattered and justified flying more missions, as newer recruits like Dave Scott realised (even though they were sometimes more straight-backed militaristic than their predecessors).
In Errand of Mercy, Kirk's accepted that the mission has changed: in the current circumstances, he is a soldier, and his feelings about it don't matter; his mission is now to thwart the Klingon intrusion on Organia by any means.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote