View Single Post
Old March 28 2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Zefram_Cochrane
First Faster Than Light

View Zefram_Cochrane's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Zefram_Cochrane Send a message via AIM to Zefram_Cochrane Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Zefram_Cochrane Send a message via Yahoo to Zefram_Cochrane
Re: Star Trek: Full Speed Ahead #6: "A Great Perhaps"

Gibraltar wrote: View Post
As gut-wrenching as calling off the search for Ensign O'Day was for all involved, it was ultimately the only rational decision.
A.J. and I spent some time on that one, trying to decide whether or not we wanted to keep the Tommy MIA subplot, and ultimately we decided to stick with it. When we were revising Milk Run and Eternal Midnight, we felt that it needed one more story to round out the arc. So, we dropped "The Better Part of Valor" to a 'special episode'-type status. It's no longer considered part of the first season of FSA.

In context of the story, yeah... Greg's reaction was tough for us to write, but we used him to convey that gut-wrenching feeling of a lack of closure and conjuring up closure for the benefit of the crew sitting wrong with most everyone involved, even though it's the right thing to do.

I liked that as a new captain, Leone had to be coaxed into officiating at the memorial service. She's a stubborn one...
Thanks wholly to A.J., Leone got a bit of a character makeover in this new and improved version of FSA. I think she's the same at her core, but we've worked really hard on refining her and her reactions a little better. She's still pretty stubborn, but at least doesn't allow her pride to be as overriding as she had been in the pre-revision states of the previous episodes.

And damn but I enjoyed watching Hargreaves get the carpet pulled out from beneath her. She was so brazen, so unapologetically biased in her witch-hunt of an investigation that seeing her ‘victory’ pulled from her grasp was simply delightful.
This will not be the last time we see Hargreaves. She'll pop up a few more times in the FSA arc.

Damn fine job, and I’m eagerly awaiting the next installment.
You won't have to wait long!

Thank you very much for reading!

-- ZC

Visit my writing blog or my fanfic profile at Ad Astra.
Zefram_Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote