View Single Post
Old March 27 2013, 11:30 PM   #33
Christopher
Writer

Re: Stunt double madness

foxhot wrote: View Post
Many of you likely notice that the bridge sequence in OPERATION ANNIHILATE not only has stunt doubles for physical action, but for bystanders as well. Uhura and the Yeoman were actually replaced by stand-ins for a few seconds.
I'm pretty sure the yeoman is the same actress. And Nichelle Nichols is not seen at any point in the entire scene, and the woman at the communications station has no rank stripes on her sleeves, suggesting that it's not a doubled Uhura but just a relief comm officer of enlisted rank.

Melakon wrote: View Post
With "Space Seed" (no current copy unfortunately), one thing that hurts the fight scene is the stuntmen are visible far too long and there's not enough intercutting of close shots on Shatner and Montalban. Maybe there wasn't enough time to shoot the additional angles.
That's why a lot of things in TV are imperfect: because there's simply not enough time to do them right.

The most dangerous stunt looks like where Kirk grabs the grating in front of the forced-perspective set, and doesn't he wrap his legs around Khan? I can understand why they might not let the stars do that. There's risk of injury to the other actor, and if that grill wasn't secured properly, the whole thing could have fallen out.
After the stuntmen initiate the leg-hold maneuver, we cut to a close-up of Shatner and Montalban already in that pose. But I guess getting there in the first place was the dangerous part. Shatner and Montalban were probably maneuvered more carefully into that position with the help of the stunt supervisor and a couple of stagehands.

And even a simple stunt like a fall, or struggling, could cause a pulled muscle or sprain sidelining an actor.
Yes. Falls can be dangerous, which is why learning how to fall safely is such a large part of any stunt or fight training. Gravity is a harsh mistress.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote