View Single Post
Old March 27 2013, 10:50 PM   #57
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Re: Why my friend doesn't like DS9: Sisko.

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Vanyel wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post

What Tosk said is common-sense.
You calling it narcissistic merely shows your own biases you project onto others.

As for Picard - the borg crushed Picard's "iron" will with little more than an afterthought and used his knowledge and skills to bitch-slap the federation.
Deal with it.
And, yes, that was partly Picard's fault, too. Capturing the enemy captain is quite a feat for the capturer - far harder than merely destroying the enemy ship; it highlights either the incompetence of the captured or his naivete.
It actually showed how much more powerful the Borg are than the Federation. Picard's orders were to investigate and keep the Borg busy while a fleet was being prepared to properly fight the Borg. Picard went in knowing it could well be a suicide mission or at best, a game of hide and seek, to keep the Borg occupied.
Yes, Picard knew from the start that the borg's military technology is far better than the federation's and that the borg massively outgun his ship.

He also knew that drones can easily teleport through federation shields and are, individually, more than a match for his men.
And he found out that the borg wanted him - personally.

Yet - there were no additional security personnel (or measures that fulfill the minimal standard of springing into action at his capture - we're not even talking about being effective) on the bridge or any other part of the ship; no other measures to prevent his capture (yes, up to and including suicide pills).
As said - Picard was either incompetent or ridiculously naive; most definitely culpable.
No one knew that the Borg wanted Picard, until they met up with the Borg ship. Infact they were surprised about the sudden shift in the Borg's intent.

Worf: Captain you are being hailed.

Picard: I am?

Worf: Yes Captain, by name.

Riker: Data, is that the same ship we faced at J-2-5?

Data: Uncertain Commander, but the dimensions are precisely the same.

Picard: On screen. I am Captain Jean-Luc Picard....

Borg: Jean-Luc Picard, Captain of the starship Enterprise, registry N-C-C-1-7-0-1-D. You will lower your shields and prepare to transport yourself aboard our vessel if you do not cooperate we will destroy your ship.

Picard: You have committed acts of aggression against the United Federation of Planets if you do not withdraw immediately...

Borg: You will surrender yourself or we will destroy your ship. Your defensive capabilities are unable to withstand us....

Riker: What the hell do they want from you?

Shelby: I thought they weren't interested in human life forms, only our technology?

Picard: Their priorities seemed to have changed.
So the whole idea of adding extra security to the bridge was not even a consideration.

Assimilation was not even know about at that point either.

Borg: Captain Jean-Luc Picard, you lead the strongest ship of the Federation fleet. You speak for your people.

Picard: I have nothing to say to you. And I will resist you with my last ounce of strength.

Borg: Strength is irrelevant. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service ours.

Picard: Impossible. My culture is based on freedom and self determination.

Borg: Freedom is irrelevant. Self determination is irrelevant. You must comply.

Picard: We would rather die.

Borg: Death is irrelevant. Your archaic cultures are authority driven. To facilitate our introduction into your societies, it has been decided that a human voice will speak for us in all communications. You have been chosen to be that voice.
and

Riker: The Captain?

Data: We were unable to retrieve him. The Captain has been altered by the Borg.

Riker: "Altered"?

Worf: He IS a Borg.
After that it was learned that by being assimilated your knowledge is now a part of the Borg.

Locutus: The knowledge...and experience...of the human..."Picard" is part of us now. It has prepared us for all possible courses of action. Your resistance is hopeless, Number One.
They didn't know about assimilation only that the Borg wanted Picard. They didn't even know why they wanted him. A Klingon and an android seemed security enough. And if you want to blame Picard for not doing more, neither did Starfleet at Wolf 359. The Saratoga only had the (presumably) Chief of Security on the Bridge. And that was after the Enterprise was able to tell the fleet, "By the way, since the Borg captured Picard they know everything he does and another Captain or an Admiral would really help them out a lot too. Good luck in the battle." Starfleet didn't even think to tell the ships warping to Wolf 359 to load as many civilians as possible on shuttles and leave them behind.

Starfleet knew that they could be running a suicide mission after they were told what happened.
Hanson: In less than 24 hours this armada is going to hit that Borg vessel with everything we can muster. Either they survive or we do.
The Borg also mention death as being irrelevant. Could that mean they could still have taken the knowledge from Picard even after a "suicide pill"? Or would you suggest, that once the Borg beamed onto the bridge, Worf should have vaporized the Captain thereby preventing any possible way for the Borg to capture him and take his knowledge?

Could more have been done? Yes. Ram the Borg ship. Initiate a Warp Core Breech. Blow up the damn ship. To keep their hands off Picard and do as much damage as possible. Except no one knew why they wanted him, or about assimilation or what it means to be assimilated.

Capturing the Captain to them, at that time, meant no more than if the Romulans had captured him. They would get information, but it would be days or weeks before they could use it.

Everything now known about assimilation was not known then.

And if they couldn't get Picard, Riker would do nicely, or Shelby, or Worf or Geordi or Data or any member of Engineering. That would have given them what they needed to do what they did at Wolf 359.

So where are they being naive?
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote