Thread: Coming Around
View Single Post
Old March 27 2013, 09:49 PM   #11
bbailey861
Admiral

Re: Coming Around

Lance wrote: View Post
As somebody who did come to TOS late (I was a TNG child yo), I came to appreciate it by putting it in context of it's era.
Well said. Reading many of the posts complaining about TOS, I think that a great many posters fail to do this very thing. TOS is a product of the 60s and I think it is important to remember that.

Place it alongside the sixties Batman series, Get Smart, things like that. The 'corny' aspects are perfectly palatable in that context. TOS is a carefree, fun series that doesn't take itself too seriously most of the time.
Maybe the right word isn't 'corny', because while dated, I don't put TOS in the same class as either Batman or Get Smart and I liked both of them. There was certainly (or at least attempted) humor in Trek but I don't think it went so far as to be 'comic-y' like Batman or as 'spoof-y' as Get Smart.

It arguably doesn't have the layers of some later instalments of the franchise, but what it lacks in those departments it more than makes up for with it's sheer, unadulterated sense of 'joie de vivre'.
See your first comment and look at it in that light. Compared to much of the television 'fiction fare' of the 60s, TOS was full of layers - couched to be palatable to a very diverse viewing audience who the network did not want to offend and to be acceptable to advertisers and studio brass who were always on the lookout.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote